Sunday, February 21, 2010

Willkommen en Berlin!

It is the closing night of the 60th Berlinale Film Festival and my head is in a spin even more than usual! It is pretty mind-boggling just how much I have learned on this trip, my second time ever in Berlin, and apparently the coldest winter here in 32 years… this Southern California girl is hoping to escape to Barcelona for Spannabis without a bout of walking pneumonia, and yet I find myself reluctant to leave as it seems I have barely made a chip in the Hanf (Hemp) brick…

Once again, I am encouraged by kindred spirits, who have dedicated much of their lives to the Legalization, Decriminalization & Demystification of Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana. Once again, I try to do too much in too little time, but everyone is so patient and gracious and bright and it is no surprise to find myself late again for my next appointment. Once again, I am missing Jack so very much… how much easier it would be if he were here to do the talking… if I was just tagging along filming these experts catching him up on what has changed and what has stayed the same… instead, as he recovers from his tragic heart attack, I am here alone, feeling the impact of my innocent ignorance, as Berliners patiently explain my own American history to me.

I came to Berlin to speak on a panel at the Green Me Lounge (http://www.greenme.de) about Sustainable Filmmaking and since Jack and I spoke often of how important Germany was to his research for The Emperor Wears No Clothes, I reach out to the Hanf Journal requesting a meeting via Zbynek of Konoptikum (one of our hosts of the Hemp Is Medicine Tour with Rick Simpson in the Czech Republic), only hours before my flight from Los Angeles… I am greeted with the most incredible of Berlin hospitality from Sowjet Media- and much like the madness & fervor with which we filmed Jack Herer’s The Emperor Wears No Clothes before Eddy Lepp surrendered himself to Lompoc Prison, with only days’ notice- Michael Knodt of Hanf Journal phoned Rolf “Rollo” Ebbinghaus of the Hanf Museum and a Special German Premiere Screening was scheduled for the last night of the 60th Berlinale…

The turn-out after only a few days of social networking & festival chatter was beyond my imagination, and the exchange of information after the Q&A, as usual, reminded me of why I run around the globe like a gypsy to help demystify this ridiculous prohibition. Hemp Activism is a purely professional endeavor here, as it is obvious in Berlin that volunteer activism will not have the strength to change a nation, so it is amusing to everyone here that this is my “hobby”… of course, as my immune system hangs on for dear life with this strenuous schedule, I myself, am amused at the idea of my “hobby”… now over 102 billable days donated to this cause… “When did you become an activist?”, the journalist, Martin Muencheberg, interviewing me after the Premiere asks me… he is also extremely patient as I weave through the explanation of my journey to Save The Planet…

The compliments of how well spoken I am for the movement are touching, but I can only think of how Jack would be disappointed that I couldn’t remember exactly which year Hemp For Victory was produced by the U.S. Government during my introduction (ps- it was 1942, of course!)… I can feel the frustration of the activists here that have worked so hard and felt so close to real change in the mid-90’s, who now maybe feel that this is all an exercise in futility… “Are you optimistic?”, Martin asks me… “Like Shirley Temple on The Good Ship Lollipop, I remain ever optimistic!” I reply. It is difficult, knowing activists personally who have dedicated their entire lives to this purpose and have seen little or frustrating progress- but I MUST believe. And especially now that the Freedom Fighters who have inspired us all globally are either dead (like Reverend Linda Senti & Captain Ed Adair, may they rest in peace) or have lost their voice (through health issues or prison sentences or political exile), I feel even more driven to speak out (whether my voice is raspy and broken or not) and hope that you will all feel the same.

“Is it possible to finally organize and unite the people on this issue of global importance?”, Martin asks me… I really hope so. For over 5,000 years we have used Cannabis, Hemp, Marijuana in a responsible way; in 1937, lies and deception were used to create a global prohibition of embarrassing proportions. As a Jewish American here in Germany, at every park and monument in Berlin, I notice that there is no escaping or fear of their history, even that which they are not proud of… so how can we imprison people who are following the beliefs of our greatest Presidents, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, two of our most famous Hemp Farmers – long before there existed a genetically engineered “Monsanto style” Industrial Hemp…

At the risk of being too political, I ended my interview with the famous quote by Martin Niemoller…

“In Germany, they came first for the Communists and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist- then they came for the Jews and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew… then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.”

I must remind you, as I am reminded by my time here in Berlin, that this is a Civil Liberties issue, above and beyond all else. I learned on the Vote For Change Video Postcard campaign that I co-directed with the world-renowned Shepard Fairey, that nothing can stop a Million Voices Calling For Change… we just need A Couple Million More Voices… whaddya say kids? Won’t you join us… whether you smoke “pot” or not? This is about International Civil Rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers